March Update: Calls and Opportunities
Welcome to March! With the International Day of Forests celebrated on March 21st, this month is often a lively time for the forestry community. Amidst the busyness, don’t forget to check out the following opportunities before their deadlines pass!
SAF Gregory Award
Every year, the Society of American Foresters (SAF) gives one or more Gregory Awards to outstanding international students (that is, students not currently enrolled in an educational institution in the United States) and early-career professionals, awarding them with a $3,000 scholarship used to attend the SAF Annual Convention. This year, the Convention will be in Sacramento, California, USA, from 25-28 October 2023.
Applications are due by 15 March 2023. See here for more information on eligibility and criteria.
Training Opportunity – Land Accelerator Africa 2023
Applications are now being accepted for the Land Accelerator Africa 2023, the world’s first training and mentorship program targeted specifically toward businesses that restore degraded forests, farmland, and pasture. This program is from the World Resources Institute (WRI). Applications close on 31 March 2023.
ITTO Call for Project Proposals
The International Tropical Timber Organization (ITTO) call for project proposals for Autumn 2023 is now open. The deadline is 10 April 2023.
Additionally, the report on the updated ITTO Financing structure has been released. ITTO members wishing to submit a Concept Note can do so via the online Submission Form System.
Second Call: ISTF Newsletter March 2023 Issue
We need your contributions! The newsletter is an opportunity to showcase your work and share your concerns. We are seeking your contributions to the quarterly newsletter to be shared with the community/members. We invite members to submit general news items, articles, announcements, field practices, research abstracts, etc.
- General News Items
- Announcements/Reports (past and future events) and Opportunities (trainings, workshops, conferences, etc.). If possible, please include 1-2 sentences about the event. 50-200 words.
- ISTF Internal News/Updates
- Reports of chapter meetings, summaries of events held, etc. Let us know what your chapter has been up to! Up to 500 words.
- Brief Articles
- Short and topical submissions: emerging issues related to forests, novel solutions, innovative research findings, and publication abstracts. Up to 500 words.
- Member Profile
- A brief professional introduction of yourself. Up to 100 words.
- Field Practices
- Short articles on methods that are useful for foresters working in the field, or new techniques based on personal experience. Does not have to meet the criteria for an academic/research journal; we want to hear about your first-hand observations! Up to 500 words.
- Information on Open Access Publications
- Useful information in summarized form from open access sources on the internet or other sources with permission of publisher/author. These can include abstracts to journal publications. Up to 500 words.
- All articles must be submitted in Word format and include a title. Please do not send submissions in pdf format
- Photos, images, and graphics are encouraged! (jpg preferred, but other formats accepted)
The deadline for this issue is 20 March 2023! Please send your contributions to Muhammad Irfan Ashraf, Chief Editor at: firstname.lastname@example.org
Lastly, please note that the Dec 2022 ISTF Newsletter issue has been updated. It can now be found at this link here!